Rosco

I am sitting here this morning making baby food for Raeleigh and taking a trip down memory lane.
For some reason this morning I cant stop thinking about my first love. He was a huge athlete. He did Football, Basketball, Volleyball...you name it. He was the star of parades, and the small town I grew up in even designed a tee-shirt honoring him. He was tall, dark, handsome and covered in fur. Rosco was his name. I was Rosco.
I have ALWAYS had a flair for the dramatic, but little did I know how much trying out for mascot my 8th grade year would affect my ability to have an outlet for that creative energy. On a whim my 8th grade year I picked up a cheerleader tryout application and decided to go out for mascot. To be quite honest I did it for the shoes. I LOVED those asics!
My skit for tryouts was just the beginning of a beautiful relationship with my alter ego, Rosco. If I remember correctly it had some sort of looney tunes theme and I was hunting a rabbit--the rest of that tryout is a blur. I do remember having to learn a dance for tryouts and had to do that with the cheerleaders--not my forte. But I did it and got JV mascot. There was a JV and Varsity spot and freshmen were ineligible for varsity.
WOW! That next year was great. I hod so much fun! There was camp, then pep rallys and games. People at school knew me but only knew me as Rosco. Not many people called me Rachel. I began creating my most dynamic character ever--granted I had 3 years to do this.
Rosco LOVED to dance. He even got reprimanded for freak dancing on the 50 yard line at an out of town pregame showdown between the 2 mascots. OK--so i may have crossed the line when i got a running start slid across the field on my knees and humped the air. BUT hey, it was great entertainment.--I wont the dance off BTW.
Rosco had it all. Costumes, props, his own money, a horse, cars...you name it He had it.
I liked Rosco to be sort of a Cartoon quality superhero. He was always dressed to the Nines and had surprises up every sleeve.
His costumes included but was not limited to...
Football ensemble--jersey and shorts
cowboy with caps holster with a bone sequin belt buckle with his name on it and vest...all with fringes and even faux snake skin boots to match with a white horse (on a bicycle so I could actually ride it)
a tuxedo
a men in black suit with the ray bans
a mardi gras cape and mask for parades
bell bottoms, and leisure vest
a maintenance outfit with mop caddy
an Indian outfit with drum, headdress and peace pipe
basketball outfit
Jamaican dog with dreadlocks and hat
man...the list goes on
Rosco had money with his pic on it that he used to bribe tv crews to put him on TV when they came to the games.
of course a wallet and ID
a Cadillac
I tried out the next year and got varsity squad. This year was the best. At the athletic banquet I got a standing ovation (so surreal). This was the year I got best Mascot at camp. Then to top it all off I made it to NCA nationals and won 2nd best mascot in the nation. TOTALLY COOL. The event was even televised. My skit for that even was my favorite. I was Cowboy Rosco with my horse and bone holster. The scene opened with instrumental music from pink floyd (i did my own music BTW). I pop up from behind a huge bolder on my horse. We are in the desert with cactus' and tumble weed. We find a HUGE 3ft tall rattle snake. I JUMP off my horse, draw my bone and whack the snake over the head. I then pick him up and wrestle him back behind the bolder where i began. (mixed music playing) I come up with a HUUUUUGE needle and thread like I am sewing something behind the rock. Then the music abruptly changes to THESE BOOTS are MADE for Walking--I come out behind the boulder strutting and showing off my new snake skin boots that match the snake i just killed. I get back on my horse and ride off into the sunset. TOOO MUCH FUN!
The next year i made varsity again and had a blast. I need to upload some pics.
Well the kiddos call so my trip cometh to an end.
RIP Rosco...maybe one day I can find a reason to resurrect you!

I would love to buy a suit and do some sort of children's ministry at hospitals....hmmmmm--dunno how to make that one happen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to prepare for the Composite Science 8-12 TEXES certification exam

Fear is a Liar

Growing our Heritage from A-Z: In Search of a Full Quiver Month 3