Growing our heritage: In Search of a full quiver Month 2


We are flirting with our two month mark--it is a few simple days away.  However, in adoption, no day is truly ever simple.  I recall myself dealing with an extremely petty situation at my child's school last week (one in which would have never been on my radar or high on my priority list FOR ANY of my children--let alone one with a history like, and dealing with issues like W...I'm a fan of simple, natural consequences) and this situation prompting me to say to my husband, "There are only so many things that I can possible say out loud (if you are a teacher think in the world of Think Alouds) every day and this just wasn't one of them".  However, for the other parent  involved, and the school, it was important so we did everything we could to comply.  But I distinctly remember myself thinking, this just isn't high on my priority list.  You see folks, when you are dealing with a child who has come from trauma you deal with the BIG issues first, and sometimes they are REALLY big, then you trust that all the little pieces will fall into place over time.  My little guy needs to experience the feeling of success, and if that means we celebrate a day of not screaming and hiding then we celebrate it, whether he used his table manners at lunch that day or not. 
W is making HUGE gains.  I barely recognize him as the same guy who joined us two months ago and for that I am thankful and blessed.  Honestly, things are good most days and great others.  However, I have found myself forgetting that our new normal is not every one else's normal.  Families who are intact, and have always been that way, fail to understand what it is like to have a child in their home who fails to know basic skills-- let alone that we should hold doors open, or not cut in line, or say please and thank you. 
I was once one of those people.  People who thought, "If my child ever.....!!!".  Ha!  My how times have changed.  I find myself looking at the world through completely different lenses now.
Yes, W has made great gains in these last 2 months; but so have we.  We manage our time better.  We communicate more.  We love harder.  Our empathy, patience, and compassion are growing exponentially every day and at the same time we have gained another person to love. 
I can only imagine how things may be in 6 months, a year and longer!

Read about how we got here HERE
Read about month 1 HERE
Month THREE
Month FIVE
Month SIX

But to each one of us grace has been given as Christ apportioned it.
       ~Ephesians 4:7

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to prepare for the Composite Science 8-12 TEXES certification exam

Fear is a Liar

Growing our Heritage from A-Z: In Search of a Full Quiver Month 3