Avatar, Christ and America


Ok, so i just watched Avatar. I know, I know I am a bit behind on my popculture...Ok I am ALOT behind. I told my husband today that I didnt know what all this buzz was about some kid named "Justin Beaver".

I was thoroughly impressed with the analogies with the Iraq and Afghanastan wars. All personal opinions of the war aside...I saw very clearly how the US occupation of Pandora is synonymous with the US occupation overseas--both lusting after 'natural resources' of the invaded lands. It was even alluded to in a couple of character aside moments in the movie. (like when Jake mentions taking over a land, villifying the natives and then stealing whatever it is you want from them all in the name of country)....hmmmmm, a bit political ya think?--still enjoyed it!

I also found the level of allusions to our Christian God very Lewis and Tolkienesque--minus a talking lion or a hobbit. I loved how the diety of pandora was represented in creation and nature as a conection between living things just like in Christianity. I can see where some would argue for a tie with a more pagonistic religion but I see it differently.
I consider myself Christian and I view my God, the Christian God, alot like the pandora diety--all present, all knowing and all powerful (whether or not God chooses to use that all powerful control at any given time cannot be predicted nor understood--plus both man/Na'vi have free-will)--especially in nature.

Look at the birds of the Heaven, you heavenly Father feeds them, are you not more precious then they? -matthew 6:26

If God can keep the tiniest of birds fed, content and safe then you CANNOT tell me that nature is not connect with God and with humanity in a very padorian way. We may not be able to measure our connectivity with syringes or view the 'synapses' of our interdependence under a microscope but that does not make them any less real.

I am a Na'vi.

I see my world.

I see my brothers and sisters.

and we are all seen by God

who is both watching us, with us and in us.

With Him we ARE all connected.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to prepare for the Composite Science 8-12 TEXES certification exam

Fear is a Liar

Growing our Heritage from A-Z: In Search of a Full Quiver Month 3